TESL 0140 Assignment 3: Self-Evaluation

TESL 0140 – Assignment 3: Self-Evaluation
(Source: https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/b/d-man-thinking-red-question-marks-over-white-background-36749970.jpg) 

Your goal for this course:
How are you going to learn it?
How will you know you have achieved it?
How will you demonstrate that you have learned it?
Notes:
GOAL 1: I hope to be able to effectively use resources and strategies to assess the needs of my students and evaluate their progress.
I will use the assigned readings, various assignments and class discussions to educate myself on suitable methods. I also plan to use my PLN and discuss with them how they approach assessment and evaluation in their own classrooms.
 I will be able to look back at the assignments I have completed and reflect on how I’ve used different approaches to assessment and evaluation. In addition to this, I will be able to apply what I have learned to my own teaching situations in the future.
 I will use the skills I have acquired over the next four weeks and apply them to a specified teaching context in Assignment 4.
 I will set aside time each day in the evening to complete the necessary readings and research for this course, about an hour each day. 
GOAL 2: I hope to be able to distinguish the differences between formative assessment and summative assessment and to incorporate them properly into my lessons.
I will complete the assigned readings and do additional research to educate myself on the two forms of assessment and how they can be implemented.
I will be able to incorporate both forms of assessment in a variety of ways using a wide range of approaches suitable to the context at hand.
I will apply the knowledge I have learnt when completing Assignment 4.

GOAL 3: I hope to be able to properly assess assessment and evaluation tools, to decide whether or not they are appropriate for my given situation.
I will look at the assigned readings, especially focussing on those from unit 3 and do additional research to better inform myself.
I will have successfully taken an assessment tool and critique it’s effectiveness for a particular situation (Unit 3, Activities 1 and 3).
I will be able to complete activities 1 and 3 from Unit 3: How Do I Assess What Should Be Assessed? In addition to this, I will be able to apply this knowledge to Assignment 4.


As I look over the learning goals I set for myself at the start of the course and compare them to where I am now, it really gives me an invaluable perspective on what I have been able to achieve over the past four weeks. While things don’t always go exactly as planned, I feel that overall, I was able to meet the criteria I set out to complete.

When I first registered for the course, I had already taken a few TESL classes and had touched slightly on the topic of assessment and evaluation. However, my knowledge was limited, and I really did not know much about the different types of assessment and evaluation that exist. In fact, until taking this course, I had simply assumed assessment and evaluation were one in the same! As I reflected on my learning, I decided to go back and look at the lesson plans I had put together for three of my former TESL classes. One thing I noticed is that although I had incorporated some assessment methods, I was unaware of the different purposes of each assessment method, whether that assessment be informal or formal, formative or summative. With this knowledge, I now know that formative assessments track a student’s progress and guide them in their learning, whereas summative assessments look at what a student has been able to accomplish at the end of a unit or a term. I can now distinguish when it’s best to use informative assessments such as in-class observations, or when to use formal assessments, such as weekly quizzes. One point that especially stood out to me (and I will keep in mind moving forward) is that formative assessment should prepare students for summative assessment. Essentially teachers are empowering students to grow through formative assessment. Now that I am aware of the different forms of assessment and their uses, I can more effectively implement them into any future activities I prepare.

In addition to being able to know what type of assessment to use, I’ve learned that it is equally important to assess the assessment tools that I will be using. I hadn’t given much thought to it before taking this course, but now that I am aware of this process, I see that it is invaluable. I find it extremely helpful to now have a guide when developing or selecting an assessment tool. Validity, reliability, authenticity, and especially washback are all things I will now look for. One thing that stood out to me was the concept of ‘face validity’, or how the students perceive the test. A test can be said to have good face validity when students are confident it is covering the materials they studied and is testing their abilities fairly. This isn’t something I had ever considered, and yet it is so important!

In order to accomplish my goals, I made sure to look at all the assigned readings, complete the weekly unit activities, and share my ideas with my peers on the discussion forum. Furthermore, I was able to find additional resources that helped me to further understand the course materials. I have listed them at the end of this post. However, one area where I fell short was reaching out to my PLN to learn more about assessment and evaluation. Initially when I drafted my learning plan, I had hoped to speak with some of my friends who are currently ESL instructors. However, life became busy for me and before I knew it, this course had come to a close with me not having reached out to them. I think it would have been interesting to hear their ideas and methods surrounding assessment and evaluation. With that said, not all is lost, because there is nothing preventing me from speaking to them in the future about assessment and evaluation! My journey as an ESL instructor is only beginning, and I am sure that I will be continuously be learning and adapting my knowledge along the way.

Holistic Assessment Rubric:
Criteria
Score (out of 9) and Comments:
(7 – 9 points) I was able to accomplish all the stated goals through the assigned readings, completing the various activities, participating in the group discussions, reaching out to my PLN and doing additional research.
8/9 points – I was not able to reach out to my PLN and discuss with them their approaches to assessment and evaluation. However, I was able to achieve all of my goals by using the rest of the stated methods.
(4 – 6 points) I was able to accomplish most of the stated goals and did so by doing most of the following: reading the assigned readings, completing the various activities, participating in the group discussions, reaching out to my PLN and doing additional research.

(1 – 3 points) I was not able to accomplish most of my goals and put little effort into achieving them. I failed to do most of the following: reading the assigned readings, completing the various activities, participating in the group discussions, reaching out to my PLN and doing additional research.


Helpful Resources:

AMLE: Formative and Summative Assessments in the Classroom

Bow Valley College: Instructor Tools for PBLA

West Virginia Department of Education: Examples of Formative Assessment

ESL Council of the Alberta Teachers’ Association: Understanding ESL Learners: Assessment  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TESL 0130: Unit 2 Reflection

TESL 0170 Practicum - Teaching Lesson 1 Reflection

TESL 0110 Lesson Plan