TESL 0130: Unit 2 Reflection

TESL 0130 Unit 2 Reflection: Think-Aloud


During this unit, what stood out to me the most was the “Think-Aloud” activity. I think that it is a very effective way to not only help students process a reading text, but it allows the teacher to see the student’s comprehension first hand as they make their way through the reading passage.

When I think back to the text I read while using this method, I can recall more clearly its details and the thoughts I had while reading it. By saying your thoughts out loud, you are reinforcing what you think and so if students use this method, I feel that the material they read will be easier to understand. Furthermore, I feel this method may be especially helpful to students reading longer reading materials, as each pause helps to break the material into chunks.

               I also feel that this method is an excellent way to monitor a student’s comprehension of a text. By stopping every so often to express their thoughts and ideas, teachers can see that student’s thought process and assist them if they are in fact confused about what they just read. Furthermore, this method gives students more autonomy by allowing them to pause whenever they see fit to share about what they’ve read. Overall I’m very impressed with the potential the Think-Aloud approach to reading has and look forward to employing it in my future lesson plans!


Comments

  1. Etienne, I don't normally comment within the blog, but I'll use my voice as the content developer - despite some initial resistance, I was successfully able to rally in favour of including this method in the course, despite all the other edtech involved, because of things you've just said in your post.Thanks for confirming it was worth my effort :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm certainly glad you were able to get the Think-Aloud activity into the course! It's quite an innovative approach to reading. How do you go about implementing it in your class?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TESL 0170 Practicum - Teaching Lesson 1 Reflection

TESL 0110 Lesson Plan