TESL 0170 Practicum - Teaching Lesson 1 Reflection



For today’s lesson, I covered the first half of Chapter 3: Part 2 of textbook “Real Talk 2: Authentic English in Context”, which focussed on banking. The lesson began with a bit of a bumpy start due to a technical difficulty. I was unable to get the projector to connect up to my laptop, so I started the class with introductions and a class discussion to prime the students on the topic. Once the projector was up and working, I was then able to play a game of Kahoot with the class to review vocabulary from the previous lesson, as well as introduce new words using a PowerPoint presentation. The students especially enjoyed the game of Kahoot, and it served as a great way to connect with the students. After having a ten-minute break, we then moved on to the listening component of the lesson, where students listened to a conversation between a bank employee and a customer. The listening material appeared to be difficult for a good number of the students, so to give them a break, I changed course and had the students work in pairs to compare and discuss information about two banks.  I decided to save the last listening activity for my next class on Friday.

What worked well:

Coming into this lesson I was well prepared, with a good variety of activities planned, as well as a few back up activities. In addition to this, I am happy that I was able to adapt my lesson around not having the projector initially. It really threw me off guard, but fortunately I had activities that did not require the projector which I was able to do first. I found that having the students introduce themselves and share their favourite food was a simple and fun way to get to know the students; many of them shared foods from their home countries, which was interesting to learn about! Calling the students by name also helped build rapport with them, however there are still a few students whose names I still need to work on! The game of Kahoot was a huge success in reviewing the vocabulary from last class. The students were eager to participate and had a lot of fun. It also allowed me to gauge where everyone was at coming into my first class. The student pairings I created promoted good dynamics in the classroom, which helped the students be productive.

Things to tweak:

Due to the nature of this chapter (finances), the material that needs to be covered is rather dense and may be unfamiliar to many of the students. I found that the some of the students struggled to grasp some of the vocabulary, as many of them are very abstract concepts, and can be difficult to explain. As such, I hope to focus more on illustrating the vocabulary in my next lesson. The audio recording as well had quite a bit of information, so next time I think I’ll let the students follow along with the transcript during the second playthrough. Also, I was told by my practicum teacher that I need to slow down my speech a little to make it easier for the students to follow. Therefore, for my next class, I’ll be more mindful of my speed. Lastly, I think I could have incorporated more opportunities for students to produce language. In my next class I will focus on incorporating more opportunities for students to produce language through activities like role plays, dialogues, and short answer questions.  Overall, while there were several areas that I need to improve upon, I feel that it went well and was an incredibly valuable first experience for me! I look forward to teaching my next lesson.


Comments

  1. Etienne, after reading your lesson plan and the description of how you used Kahoot, I finally understand how it works! I'm going to try it in my final teaching day. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you'll have fun using it! What I especially like about Kahoot is that it emails you a diagnostic report of the game, and gives you information on how often each student answered correctly and incorrectly for each word. This allows you to see which students are struggling with what words, so you can focus on them in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TESL 0130: Unit 2 Reflection

TESL 0110 Lesson Plan