TESL 0150 Unit 2: Reflection

TESL 0150 Unit 2 Reflection: Evaluating Learning Resources

(Source: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ghozt_Tramp_-_Business_Communication_Duplicat_model.jpg) 

While I was reading through some of the learning theories Tomlinson outlines in his book “Developing Materials for Language Teaching”, one that particularly stood out to me stated that “…the most important thing that learning materials have to do is to help the learner connect the learning experience in the classroom to their own life outside the course.” (2014) In other words, the material that the students learn must translate into something relevant and useful to them. This is especially true with studying any language.

 If a student learns a new language feature but has no way to use it elsewhere, they will most likely forget about it. Why hold onto information that will be of no use? I can remember many times when in high school, I studied grammar rules and conjugations in French class and couldn’t for the life of me remember them just a few months later. It’s not that I didn’t study them; I often passed my tests with flying colours, but rather, the material was irrelevant to me. I didn’t see the merit in remembering the material in the long-term. As such, I think it’s essential that teachers help their students to connect with the material taught in meaningful ways that will be applicable to situations outside of the classroom. This is one reason why I’ve really come to appreciate task-based and communicative language teaching approaches. These approaches help students to connect the language they learn in the classroom to their own personal lives, by being able to take what they learn and use it in the real world. In the future, I hope to be able to incorporate materials that will enable students to connect their learning to their own personal lives. As I take this course on resource assessment, I’m hoping that it will hone my skills in determining the best materials to use in what ever situation I find myself in.

References:

Tomlinson, B. (Ed.). (2014). Developing materials for language teaching. London, UK: Bloomsbury

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TESL 0130: Unit 2 Reflection

TESL 0170 Practicum - Teaching Lesson 1 Reflection

TESL 0110 Lesson Plan